~ The sample board and the printed title page of the text block

Throughout the book there were numerous wood cut prints so I decided to try out some lino printing to tie in with this. In order to transfer the design onto the lino for cutting I placed a sheet of carbon paper on top of the lino. On top of that I laid a line drawing of the design and then I traced the lines with a biro in order to leave a mark through the carbon paper on the surface of the lino.

~ Marking the pattern of the leaves onto the Lino

I only wanted to print the leaves using the lino plate, so only marked these areas through the carbon paper. It was very clear to see what I needed to cut once I was done marking the lines.

~ Carbon paper left an impression of the leaves for cutting

I invested in some rather lovely new “Pfeil” lino cutting tools in a variety of cutting shapes. Each tool is made from chrome vanadium steel with ergonomically shaped hardwood handles – they made slicing the lino a breeze!

~ Cutting the lino sheet for printing

The sample board was done in the same manner, just cut on a smaller scale.

~ The cut lino for printing paper for the reverse of the sample board

The cut lino was inked up with black intaglio ink using a roller.

~ Inking up the lino plate with black ink for printing

The apricot Satogami paper was then laid on top of the lino plate and put into a press. Once printed they were pegged up and left to dry for a few days, I did extra copies so I could select the best ones for the final binding.

~ The printed papers hanging up to dry

I chose to split the cover design so there were apples on the front and apple blossom on the back of the book. I wanted this difference to carry through onto the endpapers and doublures. To add another level of complexity to the design I decided to make it so that each of the flowers and apples on the endpapers and doublures would have gold leaf behind them to catch the light when the book boards were opened which meant cutting out each shape using a scalpel.

~ Marking out the apple shapes for piercing through the printed paper

I glued some squares of gold leaf to Japanese paper in preparation using PVA glue and left them to dry.

~ Gold leaf stuck onto Japanese tissue for backing the pierced out shapes

I flipped both the paper-backed gold leaf and the pierced endpapers over and drew around the shape of the flower and apple clusters that I needed to back onto the reverse side of the gold leaf.

~ Marking out the shapes to cut from the gold leaf

I then made a slightly oversized cut around the pencil outline so that there was enough extra to glue it onto the reverse of the printed paper to span the pierced void.

~ Sticking the gold leaf to the back of the printed papers

The next post covers the forwarding of the book!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *